Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring has sprung in my heart...

Not too long ago I ordered Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study and eagerly awaited it's arrival. From the moment I cracked the spine, I knew it was true love. I am my father's daughter, and as such, I just adore nature. Being close to nature reminds me of the wonder of God's creation. I feel blessed by every tree and flower, even when they make me sneeze. As I held the book in my hands, I had this overwhelming desire to read all 900+ pages from cover to cover in one sitting. Knowing that at some point the baby would cry, Noah or Caitlyn would also need something, I resigned myself to simply go at a snail's pace, but soak in every moment of it. I want to bask in every "nugget of knowledge" that she has for me about this wonderfully complex gift that God has given us. When I first started reading it, Chris asked me, "Why are you reading that?"


Shyly I answered, "Um, because we're studying rocks soon."


"But why are you underlining stuff?"


This one caught me off guard. What could I possibly answer without sounding totally nutty.


"Um, because I want to remember it," I answered with a questioning inflection in my voice. You see, I didn't have the heart to tell him that I actually LOVE learning about nature.


There are so many topics of conversation that I am simply ambivalent about. I could really care less about the stock market (although I know I should and that it does affect me). I am only mildly interested in pro football. The current fashion can only hold my attention for so long; but a nice flower, now that is something to look at.


The other day the kids and I took a trip to Houston. On the way we marveled at the bluebonnets in bloom. I am so going to miss March in Texas. A nice field of bluebonnets can turn even the worst day into a success. We stopped in Refurio at the TXDOT building and there right beside one of the palms was a nice little patch of bluebonnets. I made the kids all jump out and pose for a picture (which consisted of just getting the older two to sit, while I chased Aiden down, placed him in the picture, then quickly snapped a shot). Chris would have thought I was crazy. He's always so pressed to get to where we're going by some self-imposed arrival time. I know where he's coming from, as it is only a matter of time before Aiden begins to scream, "Out, out, out". But on a day like that, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy such beauty.


Then the following week, my friend Jody and I took the kids to a local church that has a nice bluebonnet patch for more pictures. I can't express the joy I felt watching the kids frolic through the field. That my friend, is what homeschooling is all about. I love the fact that my kids get to go out and experience nature instead of making paper models of it in the classroom. There is no substitute for experiencing nature first hand. It is the beauty of which Anna Comstock speaks so eloquently in her book, and why I am so enjoying this book with my kids. I have been searching high and low for some sort of science text book to use with them. Today after our nature lesson, I realized, I don't need a text book, I just need nature (oh, and Comstock's book).


Today was such a wonderful school day. No we didn't finish our math; no I didn't get to that story that I wanted Noah to finish writing; but oh, the discussions of nature that we had today were simply priceless. Our discussion began with the purpose of flowers - the fruit (see my last blog entry about the fruit). We began talking about what a plant needed to feel "comfortable". Caitlyn was very attentive as she has also been covering plants and flowers at play-school. We acted out what a wilted plant looks like, how it's leaves, flowers, and stem droop. Both kids enjoyed this activity, by the way, which surprised me a bit. We talked about the direction that the roots and leaves grow. Then, after discussing the different parts of the flower, we headed outside for some hand's on lessons. I took out several different ziplock baggies with different items listed on them: roots, leaves, flowers, seeds. I sent the kids in all directions for each of the items listed on the baggie. It was so neat to see all the kids looking for interesting leaves. They scoured the yard (ahem, and the neighbor's yard - sorry Doc Tom). Even Aiden got into it, examining every handful then bringing me the evidence. We had an especially nice look at one of the flowers from our "hummingbird tree". I'm not sure of the technical name for it (sorry Anna), but I did get some nice pics and will post them soon. I also had Noah and Caitlyn sketch the flower in their nature books. We even had the chance to discover the "milk" from milkweed and that stickerburrs are actually soft when they are just beginning the bud.


After all of this we headed into the house for a snack; but our up-close and personal look at nature was not quite over. Noah and I noticed that a squirrel had made it's way onto our porch and couldn't seem to be unable to get out. We have had many birds fly in there, but never a squirrel, to my knowledge. So I ventured out there, giving Noah express instructions to call 911 if I suffered any giant gash from teeth or claws, and the little one was startled and found his way out. I thought he had learned his lesson; but he returned later, feeling ever more confident than before and this time he was brave enough to walk along the tile, eyeing us behind the French doors, instead of scurrying along the ledge. As it turns out, he was in search of our bird seed, the little rascal. So, I guess we will have to find a bin with a lid to hold our seed so that we don't end up with gnaw marks all over the porch from our curious friends.


We have recently put a bird feeder in our tree that is viewable from our dining table and that has provided many moments to enjoy birds that had not previously visited out yard. Noah and I commented how glad we are that we have invited more variety in our yard.





So, there it is...I'm a nature junkie. I've said it. I won't be ashamed anymore. People have always suspected my green-ness. Now they know for sure. Thank you Anna Comstock for encouraging me to release my inner nature lover and enjoy these post-Easter blessings anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment