Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sometimes my dreams inadvertantly involve other people's kids...

This week my dear friend, Marsha, came over to help me organize my school room. This is the next room on the list, if you've been following my progress on facebook. If not, I've done two rooms so far, and Caitlyn's closet. I've been purging and donating everything I don't need. This process began a few weeks ago when my other dear friend, Melissa, came over to get this big, bad project started. Melissa started me on my organizing journey and really can't thank her enough. She was the voice of reason I needed to hear when I was just hanging on to things for emotional reasons. Like the little rattle toy that all of my kids have played with as babies. Did I really NEED it? Melissa said that if it was really special then it belonged in a keepsake box. I sadly handed over the rattle and told her I would not look if she made it disappear. What a lifted burden to get rid of a bunch of stuff that I don't need that can bless another family! All of my items have been taken to Ronald McDonald House near Driscoll Children's Hospital in Corpus Christi. We are so lucky here in south Texas to have a children's hospital locally. We have had some wonderful doctors there. We love Driscoll and RMH is a charity dear to my heart, as I began supporting it back in college.

Anyway, back to Marsha. We were busy cleaning out my schoolroom and I was purging right along and I came upon a plastic recorder that my mom had given Noah so long ago. I remember when Noah got it, he was really excited, as was I. I envisioned him tooting along, teaching himself songs, like "Mary Had a little Lamb" or "Twinkle, Twinkle little Star". My dream was quickly shattered by obnoxiously screeching squeals from the recorder as Noah ran through the room. That was the beginning of a very loud, raucous relationship. The recorder became a sword, a dog whistle, a battle horn, a telephone, a police siren, a calculator; none of which I had envisioned. So, I shelved the recorder in hopes that Caitlyn would someday toot peacefully teaching herself the nursery rhyme songs. With Caitlyn it became a key ring, cell phone, lip stick, and microphone. Dream deferred...
When we passed over the recorder, Marsha commented, "Oh, Nathan has been begging to learn one of these." I seized the opportunity..."Do you want it? I even have books!"
A day later I was talking to Marsha on the phone and overheard beautiful tooting. Marsha said that Nathan had already taught himself two notes and was practicing them. It was music to my ears! I felt so good to bless her son with this (and to have my own dream fulfilled). Who knew my dreams included the kids of my friends?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you again, Shannon! We've been busy but next on the agenda is to learn another note.

    ReplyDelete