Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Update on us...

Last week was a smashing success! I am so happy that our interest in history has been renewed! We have been waiting sooo long to get to this point in history. This is the part that I imagined when I thought of doing Middle Ages this year. You probably viewed our Viking funeral from last week (or now would be a good time to catch it below:). I had planned on starting back with the first kings of England, but Noah was having a hard time recalling the Viking invasion information, so we went back to the Vikings invading England (and other countries). I allowed Noah to choose what he wanted to do for a final project, so he picked a Viking funeral. He built a Viking longboat with legos and we proceeded to set up a funeral. The only thing we didn't include was the burning of the body/boat/belongings (he wanted NO damage to the precious legos). We had a blast! I am so glad that I get to participate in this wonderful learning journey with my kiddos!

Next on tap is our Medieval feast that we are having next week. Each kid is going to "present" some project that they will work on and we are going to cook Medieval food and do Medieval crafts. I barely had the words out of my mouth, explaining it to the kids, and Noah said, "I already know what I want to do, you don't have to say anymore." My history lovers spark had been ignited! I'll save his project as a surprise for later, but suffice to say that we spent a better part of the morning "off task", dreaming of knights and castles!

One wonderful resource is this little book. I've found many gems that will provide much entertainment at our feast.

That's all I have to say about that...(in your best Forrest Gump voice)

No comments:

Post a Comment